i figured its about the right time to start my own blog. so, here i am.


Friday, October 29

media fast : leave comments on Facebook link

I deleted my fb notifications to my gmail.
I waited til 10:30am to check my email, I sent off one email. I closed it. And I was about to open it again,    
   but stopped myself before it fully loaded.
It’s become instinct to check my email
I felt like I also wasn’t allowed to eat, or text, or listen to music; kinda like the day after fast Sunday and 
   when you have the urge to eat you feel like you can’t
I usually keep it open, because I want to chat with my bf
I refer to it often because I have purposefully not read certain emails because I don’t have time to when I
   receive them and so they remain bolded to remind myself to get to it later. My unread emails serve as a
   check list and reminders.
I believe it was from “Divine Nations”, it said that humans used to have everything memorized.
   Then came writing
   Then came audio
   Then came visual
   Then came interactive
We need things to keep us engaged and involved, an experience
Our memory, as humans, has weakened
I have reminders on my phone
I needed to go on email to retrieve a document for a group project and an email from a teacher, but I 
   didn’t go through my emails
Documents are digital, not in hard copy. We are adapting our systems to be solely digital
I told some friends about my “fast” and they said, “I couldn’t do it”
Another girl in the class was refraining from texting.
I don’t know how I could manage without texting, because there were times when I needed to text rather 
   than call, more convenient
I could probably survive longer than I think without technology, fb especially, but other rely on it, so I 
   have to in order to keep it touch with them and function in the same way
I did for a year and a half (mission), only because the people I needed to contact weren’t on fb
I keep my fb, mainly for mission contacts, my purses, kit with old friends
My bf thinks I’m addicted to email because it causes me to not eat
I may justify it by saying I need it to help me remember things I need to do and so I can talk to him
I think that because I have a laptop, I bring it to campus for convenience; I am accustomed to having 
   email so accessible. When before, it would be long hours until I could check my email.
I am not as attached to fb as I am gmail. Fb is more for pleasing others. I could go a week without going 
   on. But I feel that people need to get a hold of me, so I go and check what people are trying to 
   communicate to me. I don’t think it serves me a real purpose, only for my bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment